Moving your StorSimple 8k device
You may have the situation where you need to move your StorSimple 8k iSCSI SAN from one physical location to another. Assuming that the move is not so far as to move to another continent or thousands of miles away, the following process is what I recommend for the move:
- On the file servers that receive iSCSI volumes from this StorSimple device, open Disk Management, and offline all volumes from this StorSimple device
- (Optional) In the classic portal, under the device/maintenance page, install the latest Software and Firmware update. The reason this unrelated step is here, is to take advantage of the down time window to perform device update. This may take 1-12 hours, and may require access to the device serial interface.
- Ensure that you have the Device Administrator password. You’ll need that to change the device IP configuration for the new site. If you don’t have it, you can reset it by going into the classic portal, under the device/configuration page.
- Power down the device by going to the classic portal, under device/maintenance, click Manage Controllers at the bottom, and shutdown Controller0, and repeat to shutdown Controller1
- After the device is powered down, toggle the power buttons on the back on the PCM’s to the off position. Do the same for the EBOD enclosure if this is an 8600 model device.
- Move the device to the new location
- Rack, cable, and power on the device by toggling the power buttons on the back of the PCM modules.
- In the serial console,
- Type 1 to login with full access, enter the device Administrator password.
- Type in Invoke-HCSSetupWizard, enter the new information for data0 interface: IP, mask, gateway, DNS server, NTP server, Proxy information if that’s needed for Internet access in the new site (Proxy URL as http://my.proxy.domain.com:8888, authentication is typically T for NTLM, Proxy username and password if needed by your Proxy – Proxy must be v1.1 compliant)
- Back in the classic portal, you should see your device back online, go to the device/configuration page, update any settings as needed such as controller0 and controller1 fixed IPs, and iSCSI interface configuration if that has changed.
- If the same file servers have moved with the StorSimple device,
- Bring online the file servers, change IP configuration as needed
- Verify iSCSI connectivity to the StorSimple device
- Verify iSCSI initiator configuration
- Online the iSCSI volumes
- Test file access