Setting up Azure Storage account for StorSimple array 5000 and 7000 series
StorSimple is an amazing Hybrid Storage array that extends on-prem storage seamlessly to the cloud. The 5000 and 7000 series models require the setup of a cloud storage account prior to array installation. To setup a storage account in Azure for StorSimple array:
- Log into you Azure Manage portal at https://manage.windowsazure.com/
You need to have at least one active Azure subscription before you start.
- Click Storage on the left, then click New at the bottom:
- Type in a name for the new account you wish to create – must be lower case letter only. Pick an Azure data center – typically one that’s physically close to your location to get better latency. Pick a subscription. Pick a replication setting. Locally-redundant give you 3 copies of your data in the data center you selected. Geo-redundant gives you 3 additional copies in another Azure data center. Geo-redundant is typically twice the cost of locally-redundant storage account, is the default option, and is well worth the addition 2.25 cents per GB in my opinion.
In a minute or 2 Azure will finish creating the storage account. click on the account name:
- Next click Dashboard, and click Manage Access Keys at the bottom:
- Copy the account name and the primary access key. You will need them to setup your StorSimple array later.
Secure this information because it provides access to your Azure data. Data can be accessed by using either the primary or secondary keys. Each key is 88 characters long and is made up of alphanumeric upper and lower case letters and special characters. The availability of 2 keys allows us to change keys without any access interruption by applications or machines that use the account. For example in case of key compromise, and you’re using the primary key in an application or machine, you can:
- Regenerate the secondary key
- Replace the key in the script/application/machine using the storage account (no access interruption)
- Regenerate the primary key
Now you have changed your account keys without any service interruption
Note that this applies to StorSimple 5000 and 7000 series only. StorSimple 8000 series is setup differently. See this post for more details.